Selena Gomez's song makes me feel so...so greedy, you know? She is saying(or at least I think she is saying) that even though some things should be left untouched, when your heart wants it, it wants it and it will get it.
However, we need to know how to control our desires and wants. If what we want is not a necessity in life, then it's something you don't need to get. Do you want a boyfriend? Are you needing one so badly that you would die?
There are some movies where I watched a girl murder someone just to be with the man she wants. And that man did not want her. There are even people like that in the real world, I mean have you seen the news?
Saying you want something without considering about the other person/people is just plain greedy. Greedy is just a nicer word for selfish, and being selfish is not something you would want to be.
Let's take our "wants" to a level where we don't cause harm to other people. Learn how to suffer a bit. It's way better than being used to getting whatever you want and growing up to be a spoiled brat. Here's a list of some helpful ideas:
- Take your mind off of the desired object (or person)-Do other things like watching some telenovelas, cooking, going outside or other hobbies you love doing
- Stick to the "want" and "need" saying- We always hear everyone around us saying that if you don't need it, then don't get it. Sometimes it gets repeated way too much for our liking, but it's true and it works.
- Tell yourself you'll get it some other time- No need to get bummed out, Selena! You can get whoever it is that you want some other time. Sometimes, when you wait too long for what you want, then it just sort of fades away and you forget that you ever wanted it. For example, last year I asked my mom if I could get a long-board. She said I could get one if I was honor roll for two quarters (That unfortunately didn't happen). As time went on, I waited and waited for the long-board, only to find new interests and losing the desire to get a long-board. (Another belief I have is that the feeling of wanting is just a temporary feeling. When you do get it, you would lose interest in it in the future. It's only exciting in the beginning. This is the case for new phones, laptops and etc.)
- Think about who or what it will affect- Will it hurt your parents' wallet? Will it distract you from studying for school? Again, don't be so selfish and think about the negative side for your desire.
Learning how to stop your desires will make you live as a better person. This is an opinion that I think everyone would agree on.

No comments:
Post a Comment